RULES AND REGULATIONS
Please find below the guidelines and regulations that must be adhered to when submitting film treatments to the AlUla Creates Programme.
AlUla Creates is currently accepting submissions for the following category:
- AlUla Creates: Film Programme
Other sections of the AlUla Creates programme will be curated by Film AlUla.
- The AlUla Creates: Shorts Competition is open to short feature and short fiction, animation, and documentary films from Saudi Arabia (KSA).
- The Programme aims to celebrate new Saudi film productions. Therefore, applicants should be Saudi national/origin or a Saudi Resident.
- A film's nationality will be determined based on factors including the location of production for tax breaks, as well as the nationality of the director(s) and/or producer(s).
- Films must be produced in their entirety during the live dates of the Programme.
- Only emerging filmmakers are eligible for support through the Programme.
- Films must be produced with the lead creatives being from Saudi Arabia (KSA). The production and/or shooting of films must take place in AlUla, Saudi Arabia (KSA).
- Film treatments submitted must not have been partially, or entirely produced, broadcasted, or made available on any television, internet, mobile phones, or other public viewing platforms worldwide until after the AlUla Creates: Film Programme closes on September 20th, 2024.
- Short length films are defined as those with a duration not exceeding 10 minutes.
- Films created by students at film schools or Arab film institutions are allowed, as well as independent productions and co-productions.
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS
- Filmmakers need to have demonstrable experience (previous work).
- English proficiency is required. All workshops, meetings, and events will be conducted in English, which serves as the working language.
- Filmmakers must bring a producer and, if applicable, a writer to collaborate on their project.
- All applicants must be aged 18 or over.
ENTRY SELECTION COMMITTEE
- The deadline for submitting online forms and film treatments is August 31st, 2023.
- Submissions received after August 31st, 2023, will not be accepted.
- All film treatments must be submitted in in English and/or Arabic. If the original language is not English, an English translation of the film treatment is required.
- Any audio-visual materials containing dialogue that is not in English, must have English subtitles.
- If the film treatment is a work-in-progress, please clearly indicate this on the submission form. All other terms related to submissions will still apply.
- Film treatments and materials should only be added to the submission form. The AlUla Creates Programme Jury will not accept DVDs or any physical formats as viewing copies for submission purposes.
- The treatments will be shared with the relevant selection committee for viewing and assessment.
- For any enquiries regarding film submissions, please email the AlUla Creates submissions team at [email protected]
- The AlUla Creates selection committee will review all films and make the final decision regarding inclusion in the Programme.
- The AlUla Creates: Shorts Competition will have a jury appointed solely by Film AlUla, consisting of partners and mentors of the Programme. The jury will determine the prize winners.
- No individuals involved in the production or exploitation of a film in competition may be part of the jury.
The jury for the AlUla Creates: Shorts Competition will consist of five members.
SCREENINGS & SCHEDULING
- The AlUla Creates: Film Programme aims to highlight high-quality works that contribute to the development and recognition of the KSA film industry.
- If a film treatment is selected for the AlUla Creates: Film Programme, Film AlUla will send an official selection notice and provide further instructions and requirements.
- Film treatments with dialogues in a language other than Arabic and English will be electronically translated in both languages once produced.
- AlUla Creates reserves the right to announce the Programme winners first. Until the official announcement by AlUla Creates, those associated with the selected film must not publicly confirm or imply its inclusion in the AlUla Create: Film Programme.
- The successful Film Programme entrants will be announced by October 2023.
- If a film treatment is not selected, Film AlUla will notify the entrant by email before the official Program announcement. However, Film AlUla's policy is not to provide feedback, comments, or reasons for films that are not selected.
- Once a film treatment is selected and confirmed, the entrant cannot withdraw the film or change its premiere status before it is publicly screened by Film AlUla.
FINAL EXHIBITION COPY
- Once treatments have been produced, each selected film may be screened up to three times for AlUla Creates public audiences. Film AlUla may also decide to screen the film for accredited press and the jury, resulting in a maximum of five screenings.
- Film AlUla holds the sole discretion to determine the dates and order of the film screenings.
- Once produced, rights holders are required to send the final exhibition copy of the film through a secure online transfer platform, or by shipping a copy on a Hard Drive to the Film AlUla address. The following formats are accepted:
- Movie files: Apple ProRes LT, Apple ProRes HQ, Apple ProRes 422, H264
- It is the general policy of AlUla Creates to screen all films in their original language version, with English and Arabic subtitles.
- Final productions should be submitted along with at least three high-resolution stills for promotional purposes, a high-resolution copy of the film's trailer and a digital poster.
- Film AlUla reserves the right to use the trailer for online and broadcast TV promotion indefinitely, without prior notice.
- The exhibition copy of the film must be received in good condition. Film AlUla reserves the right to refuse exhibition copies that are not in good condition and may request a new copy from the submitter.
- Failure to provide a suitable exhibition copy may result in Film AlUla cancelling the film's release, without any liability.
- Film AlUla will bear shipping costs to and from the Film AlUla premises.
- Film AlUla will return the exhibition copy at the end of the Programme.
- To arrange for the delivery of the exhibition copy of the short film at the end of Programme, Film AlUla shall contact the Director of the short film by email to arrange for the delivery.
- If the Director does not revert back to Film AlUla with delivery instruction in writing within 30-working days from the date of the email, Film AlUla shall keep the exhibition copy in its possession with no obligation to further chase the Director for the delivery.
- Should the Director ask for the exhibition copy back post the deadline mentioned herein and up to 6-months from the date of the email, then Film AlUla shall return the exhibition copy at its own cost. Upon the expiry of 6-months from the date of the email, if the exhibition copy of the film shall continue to be in Film AlUla’s possession, Film AlUla shall not be under any obligation whatsoever to return the exhibition copy to the Director and/or the right holder(s), and the Director and/or the right holder(s) shall have no right for any compensation claim against Film AlUla.
- Exhibition copy Insurance: Exhibition copies of all films selected for Film AlUla will be insured throughout the period in which they are in Film AlUla’s custody. In the case of loss or damage during the Programme, Film AlUla will be responsible only for the replacement value of the exhibition copy, if Film AlUla originally received the said exhibition copy in good condition.
In the event that the submitter violates any condition of the Rules and Regulations, Film AlUla, at its sole discretion may choose to cancel and eliminate such film from the Programme without any liability whatsoever.
Censorship: No editorial cuts or changes to any film will be made at any time by Film AlUla for any reason or under any circumstances without written approval from the rights holders. All film treatments are subject to guidelines and approval by the general commission for audiovisual media.
Anti-Piracy Precautions: Film AlUla will take all possible and reasonable anti-piracy precautions. All exhibition copies and associated copyrighted materials will be securely stored while on Film AlUla premises.
Access is limited to Film AlUla’s authorized staff only and all movement of exhibition copies will be strictly monitored. No duplication or loaning is permitted and no exhibition copies will ever leave the custody and care of Film AlUla or its authorised staff or agencies during the Programme unless authorised in writing by the rights owner of the film.
Logo: All AlUla Creates selected short films, must include in a clear and visible manner on the Home Video release of their film (i.e. DVD, Blu Ray, online availability) and on any and all promotional material (including but not limited to posters, banners, EPK’s, website) a specific logo provided by Film AlUla.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND UNDERTAKING
Submission and participation in the Programme is an implicit acceptance of the Rules and Regulations.
The applicant hereby represents and warrants that he/she holds all rights in and to the film and its related materials and that he/she has the authority and capacity to submit the film and its related material for the Programme on behalf of the rights holder(s) of the film.
Except as stated in the Rules and Regulations, the submitter acknowledges that Film AlUla shall not be held liable or responsible in any manner whatsoever for any loss or damage of whatever type or nature incurred as a result of the submission, acceptance and/or screening of the film and/or its related material.
Furthermore, the submitter undertakes to indemnify and keep Film AlULa indemnified against all liabilities, claims, demands, actions, costs, damages or loss arising out of the submission, acceptance and/or screening of the film and/or its related material.
The applicant also understands and acknowledges that the online submission form and the Rules and Regulations is a consolidated and unified document, and therefore the online submission form shall be considered as incorporated herein by reference.
For any questions, please get in touch by emailing: [email protected]